You Are Here: Home / News  
News Article - 07-01-2012 18:52
Saturday`s Blue Square Bet North Review....

In the end, fourth-placed Nuneaton Town`s late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw at Borough Park against Workington turned out to be a good result as all of the teams above them lost!


It didn`t look good for Boro when they were reduced the ten-men after just 10 minutes when Gareth Dean was shown a straight red card for being last man when bringing down a Reds` attacker.


They held on until 5 minutes into the second half when Jake Simpson gave Workington the lead.


And a battling performance from Kevin Wilkin`s side was rewarded when Guy Hadland scored a deserved equaliser from a corner with just 4 minutes remaining.


Leaders Hyde FC still have a healthy eleven-point lead, despite going down to a 2-0 defeat at the Northolme against play-off chasing Gainsborough Trinity.


Ryan Kendall gave Trinity a 15th minute lead that Gavin Cowan doubled 7 minutes after half-time – and that proved to be enough to send the home side to within a point of the top five.


Second-placed Stalybridge Celtic went down to a 3-1 defeat at Bower Fold in their latest Tameside derby against Droylsden.


Ciarn Kilheeney gave the Bloods the boost of an early 7th minute lead that Dale Johnson doubled less than 2 minutes later.


Kilheeney`s second made it 3-0 with only 32 minutes gone on the clock.


Phil Marsh reduced the deficit from the penalty spot right on half-time, but Celtic were unable to penetrate the visitors` defence in the second half.


And to complete a miserable afternoon for the top three, Guiseley were comprehensively beaten at Woodside Park by relegation-threatened Bishop`s Stortford.


Reece Prestedge put the Blues in front after 10 minutes and 9 minutes later on-loan Arron Wickham added a second.


Lee Ellington eventually pulled one back for the Lions in the 72nd minute, but Dwight Gayle made it 3-1 with 6 minutes to go and any hope of a comeback disappeared shortly afterwards when Gavin Rothery sent-off for a second yellow card after an elbowing incident.


And to add salt into the wounds, Junior Dadson scored a fourth for Stortford in stoppage time.


FC Halifax Town, who possess three games in hand on Hyde, maintained fifth place after a good 4-2 win at fellow play-off chasers Corby Town.


The first half was largely dominated by Halifax with smart passing and movement that had Corby on the back foot.


The opening goal came on 16 minutes when Liam Needham’s clever pass put Lee Gregory in behind the Corby defence and his cross was finished off by Danny Holland.


Hibbert went close again for Corby soon after before Halifax got a crucial second goal 2 minutes before half-time.


Keeper Chris Mackenzie came for, but missed, Danny Lowe’s cross and Holland had simple task to score his second.


Corby were back in it on 72 minutes when substitute Lee Beeson scored his first goal for the club.


But within 2 minutes, Halifax restored their two-goal lead through James Dean’s glancing header.


Substitute Jason St Juste got the fourth on 83 minutes when he was allowed to run unchallenged from inside his own half to inside the Corby area before beating Mackenzie with a low shot.


Corby pulled another back late on when Beeson’s cross was volleyed home by another substitute, Jordan Smith.


But by then, the points were in the bag for Halifax.


Worcester City`s play-off hopes took a blow after losing 3-2 at inconsistent Vauxhall Motors` Rivacre Road.


Josh Wilson put Motors ahead after less than 5 minutes, but City were back on level terms within 9 minutes, courtesy of an own goal by Paul Jones.


Five minutes before half-time the hosts re-took the lead through Craig Mahon and then 18 minutes from time young loanee Cole Stockton made it 3-1, rendering Mike Symons` reply in the 80th minute in the end as just a consolation.


Boston United's play-off hopes received another setback when they could only draw 1-1 with bottom side Blyth Spartans at the Jakeman`s Stadium.


The Pilgrims appeared to be heading for an embarrassing defeat when Graeme Armstrong headed home 7 minutes into the second half.


After a drab performance for the first hour of the contest, Boston finally came alive in the closing stages and substitute Ryan Semple grabbed the equaliser 10 minutes from time.


But the home side failed to fashion a second goal. In fact it was Blyth who almost won it with the last kick of the game, but Paul Bastock denied Jamie Mole in the 4th minute of added time.


I suppose it was scripted – Colwyn Bay sign former Chelsea star Frank Sinclair the day before their visit to Altrincham – and he scores the winner in a seven-goal thriller in the 3rd minute of stoppage time!


Bay had gone ahead after 17 minutes when Rob Hopley netted after home keeper Stuart Coburn had saved an initial effort.


But Jack Redshaw equalised 4 minutes later only for a minute Gareth Evans to poke a long ball up the middle past the advancing Coburn to make it 2-1 to the visitors.


Altrincham drew level again after 29 minutes when Damian Reeves' superbly directed header from Redshaw's cross found the net.


Four minutes after the break Redshaw converted a fine long ball from Adam Flynn to give Altrincham the lead for the first time, but Hopley levelled in the 56th minute.


And then Sinclair won it.


Gloucester City won 1-0 at home to Solihull Moors, thanks to Tom Webb`s goal in the 14th minute, while it finished goalless at the CNG Stadium between Harrogate Town and Histon.


Third-bottom Hinckley United moved level on points with Bishop`s Stortford and Vauxhall Motors after hammering the team immediately below them – Eastwood Town.


Andy Gooding gave the home side an 11th minute lead. However, it wasn`t until the final 6 minutes that the Knitters ensured victory when they scored three more times.


Once Danny Newton made it 2-0 in the 84th minute the Badgers collapsed, allowing Paul Lister to bag a brace in the final 2 minutes.

Share this page
Copyright 2015 The Football Conference League. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to The Football Conference League as the source.
Have You Read
Hawks Take Ravens Keeper on Loan
  Whitehawk Football Club  
Hawks Take Ravens Keeper on Loan
Whitehawk have taken goalkeeper Seb Brown on a....
Walker Added to Eastleigh Squad
  Eastleigh Football Club  
Walker Added to Eastleigh Squad
Eastleigh followed up the signing of Harry Pell from.....
Odubade Loaned to Cards
  Woking Football Club  
Odubade Loaned to Cards
Woking have confirmed that Yemi Odubade has.....
Young Tyke Loaned to Boro
  Nuneaton Town Football Club  
Young Tyke Loaned to Boro
Youngster George Maris has joined....
Saturday`s Vanarama Conference North Review....
Saturday`s Vanarama Conference North Review....
Game of the day in the Vanarama Conference North....
Saturday`s Vanarama Conference South Review....
Saturday`s Vanarama Conference South Review....
There was a hat-trick for Chris Flood as third-placed....
Football Conference Partners

Official Broadcast Partners
Official Website Partner Official Facilities Partner
Official League Partners
Official Initiative Partner